Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ex Libris..

I would love to have a book plate like this.From the library of Hannah Nelson.

I think these are so cool. Ever since I bought those Shakespeare books at D.I. with the old book plates in the front.
I found the design on this website


Also my sister-in-law found this adorable picture and says that she knows one day I will be throwing parties like this.

B.J. you are so right!!! What a fun idea!
(Notice what the table runner is made out of)



In church today, in a lesson in Relief Society, the teacher quoted Jane Eyre. I wasn't actually in the lesson (I was teaching the four year olds... so cute..) but my mom shared it with me afterwards. I love that book, but this made me realize how much I have forgotten of it! I need to read it again.

Mr. Rochester is asking her to move in with him.
(Mr. Rochester to Jane) "'You make me a liar by such language: you sully my honour. I declared I could not change: you tell me to my face I shall change soon. And what distortion in your judgement, what perversity in your ideas, is proved by your conduct! Is it better to drive a fellow-creature to despair than to transgress a mere human law- no man being injured by the breach? for you have neither relatives nor acquantances whom you need fear to offend by living with me.'

This was true: and while he spoke my very conscience and reason turned traitors against me, and charged me with crime in resisting him. They spoke almost as loud as Feeling: and that clamoured wildly. 'Oh, comply!' it said. 'Think of his misery; think of his danger- look at his state when left alone; remember his headlong nature; consider the recklessness following on despair- soothe him; save him; love him; tell him you love him and will be his. Who in the world cares for you? or who will be injured by what you do?'

Still indomitable was the reply- 'I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself. I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles recieved by me when I was sane, and not mad- as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no tempation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be thier worth? They have a worth- so I have always believed; and if I cannot believe it now, it is because I am insane- quite insane: with my veins running fire, and my heart beating faster than I can count its throbs. Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations, are all I have at this hour to stand by: there I plant my foot."

Beautiful.

2 comments:

BJ Nelson said...

I love this post! I love that you love books so much!

Hannah said...

Thanks Beej :)